Comedy Open Mic: Going Last SUCKS

I got an email from someone who got on stage for their first comedy open mic and here’s what they wrote in their email to me:

Steve,

I performed at an open mic last night. It didn’t go as planned.

It was my first time performing at an open mic. Of course as luck would have it I ended up going last.

I had the energy but not the responses from the jokes that I had written down.

I could totally use some help and advice.

Here’s my response:

First of all let me say that going last at any open mic night is not optimal under any circumstance.

The comedy open mic audience has already usually been subjected to a number of unfunny comedians, those "comedians" have managed to run most of the audience out of the room and for those few audience members who are left, the expectations they have of getting a laugh at all are very low at best.

But what you do have control over, regardless of audience size or makeup is the development and delivery of the stand-up comedy act you have to offer.

I don't want this to sound like a sales pitch, but you may want to check out the info in the 5 free lessons at KillerStandup.com.

That should give you some insight into some of the issues that tend to hold comedians back, whether you decide to invest in my course or not.

But the reality is that it doesn't matter whether you use my system, someone else's or your own as long as you get RESULTS.

What DOES matter is that you focus on those things that you do have control over and not get "stuck in the weeds" over the things that you don't have control over -- especially when it comes to the tiny audience left over when you finally get your shot on stage at an open mic night.

I hope that helps and I applaud your courage. Don't stop because you hit a bump in the road.

Here’s the bottom line:

Becoming a comedian is challenging on a number levels, more so in the very beginning.

The key to making progress in the shortest time possible is to:
  • Have confidence in your ability and your stand-up comedy act
  • Be as prepared and polished as humanly possible in advance
  • Record and evaluate every stand-up comedy set for performance improvement (if you know how)
  • Don’t get distracted because there aren’t a hundred people in the audience when you finally get your chance to perform, especially when you're first performing at comedy open mic nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment